Lurie Terrace is what is referred to in the continuum of senior retirement communities and living options, as active-adult, independent living. Independent living is not assisted living, or have any component of skilled nursing care, and is not licensed. Lurie Terrace does not have a services coordinator, social worker, or any medical assistance on staff.
As an independent living community, Lurie Terrace is an eight story apartment building, and a separate two floor apartment house, near the center of the City of Ann Arbor. Just as any other apartment building, open to the general public, Lurie Terrace has a certification of occupancy from the City of Ann Arbor, complies with all city and state regulations, and the Federal Fair Housing Act. Lurie Terrace does not own any other retirement communities, is not a continuing-care retirement community, and is not associated with any other rental properties, or senior living communities.
Couples and other two person households are welcomed and encouraged at Lurie Terrace. Many apartments are earmarked for double occupancy. All residents must be a minimum of 62 years of age, be nonsmokers, and be able and qualified to each live in an independent living situation during their entire stay at Lurie Terrace.
Lurie Terrace is completely smokefree – building and campus.
Lurie Terrace permits pets:
- Cats and dogs are welcome
- Pets must be attended
- One pet per apartment
- 20 lb weight limit
- Must remain up-to-date on shots and provide veterinarian records
- $200 pet deposit (no monthly pet rent)
Overview of Leasing Requirements
Please read the following information. If you meet the leasing requirements and accept the terms as stated, complete the Lurie Terrace Inquiry form and mail or email it to us. We will contacted you once we receive your form.
1. You are a non-smoker and meet the minimum age of 62 on date of move in (and remain able to live independently during their occupancy).
2. Take a tour of our building.
3. Each applicant will participate in a private in-person interview(s) with our Leasing Specialist, executive Director and/or Board Members.
4. Provide three non-family references.
5. Furnish a past landlord reference or documentation of home ownership, if no landlord.
6. Provide proof of income suitable to afford the monthly rent.
7. Pass a criminal background check and credit check.
8. When an applicant is accepted, he/she/they will be added to our waiting list.
9. When an apartment becomes available a non-refundable $100 processing fee will be collected.
- Residents are responsible for keeping apartments clean and for their own personal up-keep and care.
- Lurie Terrace has a very unusual amenity for independent living, a fully licensed commercial kitchen and food service: 15 weeknight dinners per month are included in the lease.
- Double occupancy requires an added $128.25 for these meals for the second resident. (See Dining for more information.)
- The initial lease for an apartment is for a period of one year. After the first year, the lease is on a monthly basis, with the required short notice of only 30 days.
- When the lease is signed, the first month’s total rent, and a refundable security deposit are due.
- The full rent, is required and payable, even if the resident is on vacation or away for any other reason.
- Furniture and other possessions will be limited, due to the compactness of the apartments.
- Management has final authority in determining the amount of furniture and possessions tenants may bring, or accumulate and in accordance with all safety regulations.
- A personal interview will be requested before admission. If the applicant has been on a wait list longer than 12 months, a second interview(s) will be required.
These guidelines are offered so you can determine if this community is the right one for you. We encourage you to contact us for a tour of our building.